RESEARCH INTEREST AND PUBLICATIONS
Reduced Modelling, Data Mining, Inverse Modelling, Numerical Analysis, Numerical linear algebra, Numerical approximations to differential equations, ODES and PDES, Control and Optimal Control Theory, Data assimilation, Kalman Filter and Numerical Weather Prediction, Hydrodynamic Stability
APPROXIMATION OF LARGE-SCALE DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS FOR STOCHASTIC MODELLING, ESTIMATION AND CONTROL.
In today's technological world, physical as well as artificial processes are described mainly by mathematical models. The weather forecast, a physical problem or power systems (VLSI), wind turbines, marine renewable energy systems, active and passive flow control and mathematical finance, artificial problems, constitute examples of such processes of stochastic models, estimation and control. Furthermore, these are dynamical systems as their future depends on their past evolution. In this framework of mathematical models, there is an ever-increasing need for improved accuracy, which leads to models of high complexity.
The basic motivation for system approximation is the need for simplified models of dynamical systems, which capture the main features of the original complex model. This need arises from limited computational, accuracy, and storage capabilities. This simplified model is then used in place of the original complex model, for either simulation or control.
In the former case, simulation, one seeks to predict the system behavior. However, often simulation of the full model is not feasible. Consequently, an appropriate simplification of this model is necessary, resulting in simulation with reduced computational complexity. In particular, discretization in problems that arise from dynamical partial differential equations (PDEs) which evolve in three spatial dimensions can easily lead to 1 million equations. In such cases, reduced simulation models are essential for the quality and timeliness of the prediction. Other methods for accelerating the simulation time exist, like parallelization of the corresponding algorithm.
Journal Publications in Marine Renewable Energy Research
- Adaptive observations in ensemble data assimilation, Bahri Uzunoglu Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 196, 4207?4221 (2007)
- Adaptive ensemble reduction and inflation, Bahri Uzunoglu, Steven Fletcher, Milija Zupanski and I.M. Navon Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society,Volume 133, Issue 626, Pages 1281-1294, July Part A (2007)
- Initiation of Ensemble Data Assimilation, Milija Zupanski, Steven Fletcher, I. Michael Navon, Bahri Uzunoglu, Ross P. Heikes, David A. Randall, and Todd D. Ringler, Tellus 58 A, 159-170 (2006)
- A Note on the Particle Filter with Posterior Gaussian Resampling.,X. Xiong I.M. Navon and B. Uzunoglu Tellus A , Vol 58A , 456-460 (2006)
- Reduced Models for Statistically Stationary and Non-Stationary flows with control applications, Tan,M., Uzunoglu,B., Price, W.G., Rogers, E., Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers Part M Vol:216 Page:95-102,2002 (2002)
- Low-Reynolds-number flow around an oscillating circular cylinder using a viscous cell boundary element method, Uzunoglu, B., Tan, M. and Price, W.G., International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering Vol:50,Issue 10, 2001, pp.2317-2338 (2000)
- Linear transition in wind turbine wake flow , Bahri Uzunoglu To be published in physics of fluids (2012)
Conference Publications in Marine Renewable Energy Research
- Connection of an offshore wind park to HVDC converter platform without using offshore AC collector platform , Ahmad, H.,Coppens, S. and Uzunoglu, B. IEEE Greentech Conference, Denver (2013)
- A Resampling Particle Filter Parameter Estimation For Electricity Prices With Jump Diffusion , Uzunoglu, B. and Dervis B. IEEE European Energy Market Conference, Stockholm (2013)
- A Resampling Particle Filter Parameter Estimation for Electricity Prices with Jump Diffusion using Simplex Method , Uzunoglu, B. and Dervis B. International Mathematical Finance Conference. Miami (2013)
- Benchmarking of Optimization Modules for two Wind Farm Desgin Softwares, Yilmaz. E and Uzunoglu. B. European Conference on Renewable Energy Systems (2012)
- Analysis of financial impact of wind speeds in wind farms using ANOVA, AR and ARMA and six sigma processes, Uzunoglu, B. Society for Computational Economics, 18th International Conference on Computing in Economics and Finance (2012)
- Information theory based data assimilation for sediment transport in offshore windfarms, Uzunoglu, B. IEEE Ocean Engineering Klapeida (2012)
- Benchmarking of eddy viscosity wake models in different atmospheric settings, Uzunoglu, B and Ivanell, S EUROMECH colloquium 528 "Wind Energy and the impact of turbulence on the conversion process (2012)
- Data mining of offshore wind data generated by CFD solutions, Uzunoglu, B. European Wind Energy Association Offshore Conference, Amsterdam, Holland (2011)
- Data mining of wind data generated by CFD solutions, Uzunoglu, B and Albayrak, A. CFD & Optimization - ECCOMAS, Antalya, Turkey. (2011)
- Benchmarking of Eddy Viscosity Model in different atmospheric turbulence settings Uzunoglu.B, and Ivanell.S Wake Conference, Visby, Sweden (2011)
- Benchmarking of Eddy Viscosity Model with nonlinear wake models , Uzunoglu, B. , Zou. F and Ivanell, S CFD & Optimization - ECCOMAS, Antalya, Turkey. (2011)
- Oscillating circular cylinders' force coefficients determined by a cell viscous boundary element method, Uzunoglu, B., Tan, M. and Price, W.G., International series on advances in boundary elements ISSN 1460-1419 (2000)
- Reduced Models for Statistically Stationary and Non-Stationary flows, Tan,M., Uzunoglu,B., Price, W.G., Rogers, E., AIAA,Nr.2000-2558 (2000)
- Adaptive ensemble size reduction and inflation and adaptive observations, Uzunoglu,B. Predictability, Observations, and Uncertainties in Geosciences (2006)
- Adaptive Ensemble Size and Observation Size Reduction and Increment in Data Assimilation, Uzunoglu,B. Adaptive Model Reduction Methods for PDE Constrained Optimization (2006)
- Maximum Likelihood Ensemble Filter: Exploiting dynamic localization of Lyapunov vectors., Zupanski, M., S.J. Fletcher, I.M. Navon, B. Uzunoglu, R.P. Heikes, T.D. Ringler, and D.A. Randall, 2005 The AMS Ed Lorenz Symposium, 9-13 January 2005, San Diego, CA. (2006)
- A Linear Reduced Model for Flow Control in a Rectangular Duct, Uzunoglu, B. 2nd Global Flow Instability and Control Symposium, Crete, Greece, June 11-13 2003. AFRL, DLR, EOARD, LadHyx
- Ship Capsize Under Direct and Parametric Wave Excitation: Comparison of Lyapunov's Direct Method and Nonlinear Geometric Techniques, Uzunoglu, B. Technics & Technology in Fishing vessels, Ancona, Italy, 1997
Thesis Supervisions in Wind Renewable Energy Research
I am always looking for new collaborators for thesis work. I invite you to contact me to discuss the thesis opportunities for collaborative research. Some of the Theses work is available in the following link.